Yesterday, me and viktor stopped by goodwill because we didn't have much planned for the evening, and we found this sweet mason jar lamp. For the longest time our bedroom was just very plain and white, and finally we are adding little things to it to make it more homey and inviting. i love how the look of the room is slowly coming together..
Saturday, July 30, 2011
After being inspired by Kinfolk Magazine, i wanted to make a really pretty lunch for Viktor and I. The magazine is about entertaining and sharing meals together in a simple but so pretty way. So this is my attempt at making our meals more enjoyable. :)
I got the pasta and shrimp recipe at natashaskitchen.
I woke up to such a beautiful day today. Sitting outside on the balcony, a light warm breeze tickling my face, talking to God. It was perfect. God is our Dad, and we can come to him whenever and talk to him so simply. sometimes i forget. Listening to this sermon yesterday was a great reminder. I recommend it.
Then i whipped up a simple little breakfast that tasted so good. Nothing is better than fresh chives and dill from the farm. Mmmmm... makes all the food taste so good :)
Thursday, July 28, 2011
I made a potato and mushroom pie tonight. it was a new recipe that i had saved a couple months ago on my laptop. It turned out pretty tasty, except the puff pastry had a hard time holding the ingredients up. But its a pie, not a pizza :)
Really simple to make. I got the recipe here, but this is how i made it, with a few changes.
1 sheet of thawed puff pastry
3 medium potatoes
about 1 1/2 cup mushrooms
1/2 a large onion
1 cup sour cream
a handful of chopped dill
shredded Parmesan cheese
dry parsley flakes
1. Take out puff pastry and thaw according to the directions, usually about 30 min. In the meantime:
2. Put potatoes in pot of unsalted water and cook until they can be easily pierced with a knife. Once cooked, cool them until slightly warm. Peel the skin and slice them into 1/4 inch circles.
3. Slice mushrooms and chop the onion. Saute the mushrooms with some oil and a little bit of salt and pepper. Set aside. In the same skillet, cook the chopped onions until they are lightly browned. Add a little salt and set aside as well.
4. Mix together the sour cream, egg, and chopped dill in a bowl. add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Roll out the thawed puff pastry, and transfer it to a greased and floured baking sheet. spread some oil on the surface of the dough.(i used extra virgin olive oil)
6. Layer the potatoes on top of the oil. Season with some salt and pepper. Spread the onions and mushrooms next. Add the sour cream sauce on top. Finish it off with some dry parsley and shredded Parmesan cheese.
7. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 min or until the pastry looks lightly browned. Enjoy!
Wednesday, July 27, 2011
so, im still really enjoying cooking these days. yesterday i made some Pad Thai and today was Borscht. I just love the whole aspect of cooking, i love prepping all the ingredients beforehand, cutting them and putting them into bowls. and then just adding everything in steps. it just feels so satisfying somehow... :)
The Pad Thai was good, but not exactly authentic or anything. (but viktor did eat 3 bowls of it! Success!!) One of my previous co-workers is supposed to give me her recipe because she is part Thai and knows whats up :)
Also today me and viktor went on a little walk to a woodsy park somewhat close to us. Wow, i have not realized how tired i become these days from being on my feet! Just after about 20 min of walking, my knees and feet really started hurting. :( and when im cooking my feet hurt too actually. Ah little baby, the things you make me go through :)
(I got the borscht recipe from natashaskitchen.com)
Monday, July 25, 2011
(sorry for the blurry picture, this cat always moves around...)
so we bought Kistya a collar 2 days ago with her name and our number on there, and she hates it! for these past 2 days she has been trying to get it off her neck 24/7 (and she succeeded like 3 times already!) apparently she likes to be wild...
anyways, also in her efforts to take it off she gets her mouth stuck between the collar and almost chokes herself! she did it a couple days ago, and also this morning, i almost had a heart attack!
Its like 9am and i hear her making noises on the bed. i assume that she is just trying to get the collar off like usual so i ignore her. then she starts to make little choking sounds! i grab her and run to Viktor (who fell asleep on the couch after coming from work at 8am) The reason i run to Viktor is because he already saved her once when she was choking and knows what to do, also i am in a panic...
but the thing is, he is sleeping really hard. Im shaking him and saying, "wake up!" but he is bit confused since he is still sleeping... finally he figures out whats going on and grabs the cat, by this time she is freaking out from her mouth being stuck so long that she is clawing at everything and squirming around.
so, long story, but she clawed up viktors hand to the point that it was bleeding by the time we got the stupid collar off.
i guess she will remain a wild cat with no collar because i do not want to go through that again!
Friday, July 22, 2011
i got to enjoy a really nice baby shower yesterday thrown by my family and friends in Portland. I have to say just one thing: the food was so amazingly delicious... my mouth is watering just remembering it all... little finger foods that were just perfect. I completely overate and my whole belly hurt afterward because there is barely enough room for the baby there, not counting a ton of food :) my sisters did an amazing job coming up with the recipes and also with the decorating. i felt really loved :) thank you guys for all your gifts! i feel ready for the little babe now :)
some of the ladies...
Thursday, July 21, 2011
Im driving down to Portland today for a baby shower that my family and friends are throwing me! Im excited :) I hope that the car makes it ok, and that i wont be too uncomfortable... its getting hard to drive these days, i need a little pillow behind my back or something... maybe ill figure something out :)
These cute little toys are from mysweetmuffin.com, they have really pretty handmade toys for children. I really like how they look and i bet they feel great too :) Eventually i want to buy one for our little girl.
Tuesday, July 19, 2011
today me and viktor went to a couple of antique stores, and i found these sweet little children stories on records! they didn't have books to go along with them, but that should just motivate me to draw little picture books to go with the stories.
also we stopped by the farm to pick up our weekly produce (im loving the sugar peas, they are so sweet!) and we got to roam around the property a bit. viktor even got me to feed some cows! it was fun :) these pretty flowers are from there as well, they have a "you-pick" option for flowers and herbs which is really neat.
Friday, July 15, 2011
and there she is. that's right, its a little girl!!! for the past couple weeks Ive been really thinking about the little one being a girl and how i would like it, and she turned out to be a girl :)
the picture where it looks like bubbles coming out of her mouth is apparently her sucking on her umbilical cord... the child must entertain herself i guess :)
(the last pic looks like shes smiling... im in love already..) :)
Wednesday, July 13, 2011
i made some soup today. i have been wanting to try to make this curry soup for a while now. about a year ago we had this cooking night at my friend Zarie's house and we made this soup. I remember i liked it. and since my husband likes currys, i hope he will like it too. (cross my fingers...)
Monday, July 11, 2011
last week we got a big bag of cherries from viktor's parents cherry tree. We ate a lot of them, but still had some left over, so i decided to try to make cherry jam with them.
I found an easy recipe online and made it today.
lemon zest and juice
1. pit your cherries
2. cook cherries with lemon zest and juice on medium high heat for 5 minutes or until soft
3. add sugar, turn heat down to medium, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
4. take jam off the heat and enjoy!
i never would have thought it, but picking out baby stuff is really hard. I'm trying to register at target online, and a lot of the things i like on their website are online only! and i have a suspicion that no one is going to buy me the online stuff... so i guess I'll have to head over to the store sometime this week and do the beeping gun thing :)
another site that i like things at is babyearth.com, its organic products and i hope someone will buy me stuff from there :)
also lastly, i really want to start collecting books for a baby library :) so far these are the books i would love to have:
the berenstein bears
the velveteen rabbit
the carrot seed
the frog and the toad
the true story of the three little pigs
cloudy with a chance of meatballs
the magic school bus
i know its a little early for the baby to start appreciating these books, but i remember really liking these books as i was growing up, and i hope my little one will eventually like them too :)
Saturday, July 9, 2011
some things i have learned so far:
1. the time passes by so quick! i wish i could go back and enjoy those first moments all over again :)
2. using a scrunchy to keep my pants buttoned has worked pretty good so far. (but its getting super tight... what was my plan B...)
3. that you can survive your pregnancy without any pregnancy clothes. I have not bought anything yet, all my loose shirts fit well, and i have a lot of empire waist dresses that work... which leads to my next point..
4. if you're pregnant in the summer, wear dresses all the time. its great!
5. make things for your baby during your pregnancy, it feels so fulfilling and since you'll want to sit a lot anyways, its the perfect time.
6. the desire to cook or eat food disappeared in my first trimester, but came back in the second.. not sure what the third will bring yet :)
7. marry a man who will support your eating habits when all you want to do is eat. all the time. especially at 11pm. (viktor tells me to eat a lot, not that i need his encouragement right now) :)
8. talk to your baby and rub your belly. it will make you feel close and your heart will grow soft towards it. and your bond will begin :)
9. don't worry about your weight gain. your body is a little home for the baby, it wants to be warm and comfortable.
10. you will probably wake up in the middle of the night to pee.. right now i wake up at about 5 am every night.. and that's when my cat wakes up and start biting me, so i kick her out of the bedroom. it works out for everyone :)
Friday, July 8, 2011
its both such a short time and feels like ive been married to this man forever. my husband is very special to me, i cant imagine not being with him. he makes me feel loved and safe and happy. i love his character, that he is very generous and kind. i appreciate that he works so hard to take care of our little family (me, the cat, and little babe inside) i admire him because he is a strong man and can protect me from scary things, i love his prickly beard and i am very proud that he went to school for so long to become a nurse. i love that he wants to help people. and his personality? wow, how i love it! he makes me laugh so hard that i cant even breathe! i love all our crazy inside jokes and the fact that we can just be our silly selves around each other :) (seriously, if someone planted a hidden camera inside our home, they would think we're weird) :)
husband, you are so great and make me so happy!!! happy anniversary!! :)
husband, you are so great and make me so happy!!! happy anniversary!! :)
Tuesday, July 5, 2011
we really wanted to go camping for this 4th of July weekend, but none of our friends were going. so we decided to go just the two of us, husband and wife (and the little babe inside) :)
we didnt have a spot reserved or anything, so it was very spontaneous like. we borrowed some camping gear, bought some grub and were on our way! after driving for a while, we finally found a campsite where all the spots were not taken, near Cle Elum.
i had a really good time camping with my husband, we can have so much fun together!
viktor and i stopped by a garage sale looking for camping gear a couple days ago, and found this sweet antique typewriter! i have been wanting one for a long time, but they are so expensive in antique stores. the owner said it was from the 20s, but i haven't looked into it yet. but i love it already! im in the middle of typing a letter to our little one inside :) (who, speaking of which, keeps kicking me. i love those little kicks! a couple days ago, i think i saw a little foot or fist, there was a tiny lump on my stomach) :)